Re: Is there going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in the near future???

From: Andrew Rawnsley <ronz(at)ravensfield(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in the near future???
Date: 2003-11-18 17:43:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

I think they are actually trying to pull it out of the dumpster,
whether from desperation of marketing acumen no one knows. I think
they've gone back to the 'if we can get them hooked on a dual opteron
box, we can sell them some massive E10000' or whatever.

On Nov 18, 2003, at 11:32 AM, Christopher Browne wrote:

> In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, csmiga(at)n2bb(dot)com
> (Christoper Smiga) transmitted:
>> Does anyone know if there is going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in
>> the near future. What is the decission to develop on this platform
>> since Sun is pushing Solaris x86 harder than ever.
>
> If you're running Solaris on x86, then you're free to try PostgreSQL
> out there. It works quite well on SPARC; it is not evident that/why
> it _wouldn't_ work on the x86 version.
>
> On the other hand, the impression that I got was that the "pushing"
> taking place with Solaris x86 was more of the "into the dumpster" sort
> than "pushing hard to customers." I thought their new strategy
> involved Linux on x86...
> --
> (reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc"))
> http://cbbrowne.com/info/spreadsheets.html
> Rules of the Evil Overlord #220. "Whatever my one vulnerability is, I
> will fake a different one. For example, ordering all mirrors removed
> from the palace, screaming and flinching whenever someone accidentally
> holds up a mirror, etc. In the climax when the hero whips out a mirror
> and thrusts it at my face, my reaction will be ``Hmm...I think I need
> a shave.''" <http://www.eviloverlord.com/>

> your
> joining column's datatypes do not match

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com