Re: recovery.conf

From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "'Poul Kristensen *EXTERN*'" <bcc5226(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: recovery.conf
Date: 2016-09-05 12:24:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

Poul Kristensen wrote:
> It is not obvious to me what is the minimum configuration of the recovery.conf?
>
> The online manuals does not give the exact minumum.
>
> Can anyone help?

None of the settings in recovery.conf must be specified.

One that you will almost always have for recovery is "restore_command", but if all
the WAL you need is in pg_xlog, you don't have to specify that either.
And you don't need it for streaming replication.

Some settings are necessary for point-in-time-recovery, and some
for streaming replication, which are two different use cases for the same recovery mechanism.
Maybe that's what's confusing you.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe