Re: [ADMIN] How to drop stats on table

From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "'Sridhar N Bamandlapally *EXTERN*'" <sridhar(dot)bn1(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] How to drop stats on table
Date: 2015-11-23 08:46:54
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Sridhar N Bamandlapally wrote:
> the actual issue is, when
>
> 1. temp table <say tmp1>is created with rows
> 2. stats/analyze on table (tmp1)
> 3. table dropped (tmp1)
>
> but in stats related catalog tables a blot is created

What is a blot in this context? Are you talking about "bloat"?

> In this scenario, thousands of temp tables created per day, blots are increasing and stats related
> tables are growing to 10's of GB
>
> however, we schedule vacuum on catalog tables to control size
>
> the worry is, catalog tables also undergo MVCC concept
>
> I think when table is dropped, should have option to remove or reuse related blot-space on catalog
> tables

It must be "bloat" you're talking about.

Do you have "autovacuum = on"?
If yes, it should take care of the problem if there are only thousands
of temporary tables per day.

What do you get for
SELECT last_autovacuum, last_autoanalyze
FROM pg_stat_sys_tables
WHERE schemaname = 'pg_catalog' AND relname = 'pg_statistic';

Yours,
Laurenz Albe