Re: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x00

From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Andreas Joseph Krogh *EXTERN*" <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>, "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x00
Date: 2014-09-01 08:41:55
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-jdbc

Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:

>>> This is not 100% true, but is true for text-fields. You can insert \0 into BYTEA columns.
>>
>> I was talking about characters, not bytes.
>
> '\0' is a character. I see noe specification of character-fields (like varchar and text) in your
> answer.

My definition would be:
A character is something that is normally written on paper and has
to be encoded to be stored in a computer system.
(seems not to stray to far from Wikipedia's definition.)

Characters can only occur in text fields.

An element of a bytea is not a character along these lines; hence the
type is called "BYTE Array".

But let's not split hairs, this is getting away from the problem at hand,
and I think you know what I mean and vice versa.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe