Re: UTF8 national character data type support WIP patch and list of open issues.

From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Arulappan, Arul Shaji *EXTERN*" <arul(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Boguk, Maksym" <Maksym(dot)Boguk(at)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UTF8 national character data type support WIP patch and list of open issues.
Date: 2013-11-05 08:52:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Arul Shaji Arulappan wrote:
> Attached is a patch that implements the first set of changes discussed
> in this thread originally. They are:
>
> (i) Implements NCHAR/NVARCHAR as distinct data types, not as synonyms so
> that:
> - psql \d can display the user-specified data types.
> - pg_dump/pg_dumpall can output NCHAR/NVARCHAR columns as-is,
> not as CHAR/VARCHAR.
> - Groundwork to implement additional features for NCHAR/NVARCHAR
> in the future (For eg: separate encoding for nchar columns).
> (ii) Support for NCHAR/NVARCHAR in ECPG
> (iii) Documentation changes to reflect the new data type

If I understood the discussion correctly the use case is that
there are advantages to having a database encoding different
from UTF-8, but you'd still want sume UTF-8 columns.

Wouldn't it be a better design to allow specifying the encoding
per column? That would give you more flexibility.

I know that NCHAR/NVARCHAR is SQL Standard, but as I still think
that it is a wart.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe