Re: libpq test suite

From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Manlio Perillo *EXTERN*" <manlio(dot)perillo(at)gmail(dot)com>, PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq test suite
Date: 2013-02-14 13:06:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Manlio Perillo wrote:
> Sorry for the question, but where can I find the libpq test suite?
> I can not find it in the PostgreSQL sources; it seems that there are
> only some examples, in src/test/examples.

The regression tests are in src/interfaces/libpq/test
and currently contain only URL parsing tests.

> I'm planning to add some new features to libpq:
>
> * make PQsendPrepare send a "Describe Portal" protocol message
> * add support for setting per column binary result format

I suggested exactly that here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/D960CB61B694CF459DCFB4B0128514C208A4EDD4@exadv11.host.magwien.gv.at
and met resistance:
- one can use libpqtypes
- I couldn't find a convincing use case
- it clutters up the API

> * add direct support for portals
>
> (I think I need these for a project I'm working on [1]),
>
> How can I check if the new code does not break existing usage?
>

> [1] A new Python PostgreSQL driver, implemented following
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Driver_development
> and with many optimization (compared to psycopg2) enabled by the
> use of the extended query protocol

I think that you'll need to explain in more detail why
your proposed additions would be necessary for your project.
Especially since many good drivers have been written against
libpq as it is.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe