Re: [SQL] Statistics

From: "Hiltibidal, Robert" <Robert(dot)Hiltibidal(at)argushealth(dot)com>
To: "Joe" <dev(at)freedomcircle(dot)net>, "Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha" <ezequias(dot)rocha(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Pgadmin-Support" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] Statistics
Date: 2007-03-09 18:00:29
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Joe is quite right about comparing stats. Unless things are equal across
the board (database, tables, data, hardware, software) results will
always differ.

Another consideration and this may be painful, is consider what Oracle
support may be able to offer. Executives do not want to hear the core of
their operations went down at 3 am and are still down pending answer to
e-mail based support questions. There is benefit when IBM/Oracle can
have someone onsite in off hours if that level of support is needed.

DBA's/sysadmins/developers are always looking for the best way to
accomplish a goal depending on hardware/software/skillset availability.

Bean counters are always looking for the best way to accomplish a goal
balancing operational costs with profitability. Open source isn't always
the most profitable solution.

Good profitability is usually a balance between open source and
commercial.