Re: Speed question - new view using preview view components

From: Daniel Staal <DStaal(at)usa(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Speed question - new view using preview view components
Date: 2010-03-21 01:55:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

--As of March 21, 2010 12:23:19 PM +1100, richard terry is alleged to have
said:

> I wondered if when creating a new view from multiple tables, and then
> also joining to some fields of an existing view, if one pays much of a
> speed penalty when the data is retrieved, as opposed to just completely
> using all tables.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

First off, to help you answer your question (and others like it in the
future) yourself:
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/sql-explain.html>

Which I believe will tell you that there is no difference as far as
Postgres is concerned. It will see the two selects (assuming they actually
have the same structure) exactly the same: The view only makes it easier to
write the first. (At least in this use.)

Daniel T. Staal

This email copyright the author. Unless otherwise noted, you
the contents for non-commercial purposes. This copyright will
local copyright law.