Re: Has anyone tried Date/Darwen/Lorentzos's model for temporal data?

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: "Eric D(dot) Nielsen" <nielsene(at)MIT(dot)EDU>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Has anyone tried Date/Darwen/Lorentzos's model for temporal data?
Date: 2004-10-15 06:58:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Oct 14, 2004, at 5:33 AM, Eric D. Nielsen wrote:

> I'm in the process of adding more historic information to one of my
> databases. I've liked the theoretical treatment of the concept in
> "Temporal Data and the Relational Model", by Date, Darwen, &
> Lorentzos. A lot of it is not realizable without a lot of user
> defined types/functions/etc. I was wondering if anyone else has tried
> to use their approach as a base for their historical databases in
> PostGreSQL and has any "lessons learned" to share.

I'm working on this as well at the moment. No insights or lessons
learned yet though. :) I'd also like to see an updated tinterval type
(there's a deprecated one lurking about in the code) that used the
current timestamptz implementation rather than abstime. I'd like to
work on making this datatype and corresponding functions. Need to learn
some c :)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com