Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs
Date: 2021-11-16 15:52:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Nov 16, 2021, at 7:28 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> True; as long as the expectation is that entries will exist for only
> a tiny subset of GUCs, it's probably fine.

I understand that bloating a frequently used catalog can be pretty harmful to performance. I wasn't aware that the size of an infrequently used catalog was critical. This new catalog would be used during GRANT SET ... and GRANT ALTER SYSTEM commands, which should be rare, and potentially consulted when SET or ALTER SYSTEM commands are issued. Is there a more substantial performance impact to this than I'm aware? It can be a bit challenging to run performance tests on such things, given the way everything interacts with everything else.

Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company