Re: suggested RAID controller for FreeBSD 6.1 +PostgreSQL

From: Michael Loftis <mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: suggested RAID controller for FreeBSD 6.1 +PostgreSQL
Date: 2006-07-07 05:08:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

--On July 6, 2006 2:21:15 PM -0400 Paul Khavkine
<paul(dot)khavkine(at)distributel(dot)ca> wrote:

> Take a look at: http://www.icp-vortex.com/english/index_e.htm
>
> They have always made good RAID controllers.

I'll give a huge thumbs up for the ICPs, and also make sure you get the BBU
cache as well (batter back-up) otherwise TURN OFF YOUR WRITE CACHE ON THE
CARD. You will hose your database severely if you don't the one time hte
machine acidentally loses power.

I'm getting ready to put together a pretty beefy server with either an LSI
or ICP card (we're discussing options at this point) -- I've had really
good experience with the all of the ICP cards we've used. LSI used to be
worthless, couldn't do anything online at all in any form of *nix, but
atleast in Linux you can now, I don't know about FreeBSD, look into that,
drives fail, and it bites to have to take your server down, and leave it
down for a rebuild.