Stored Procedure/Return Rowset/Crystal

From: Godshall Michael <Michael_Godshall(at)gmachs(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Stored Procedure/Return Rowset/Crystal
Date: 2003-11-11 20:38:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I am trying to develop a report using Crystal that reports against a stored
procedure. The stored procedure creates a table based on a few queries, a
few parameters input, and the returns the rows of the table with counts of
specific records based on grouping. Crystal would then display the results
of these counts and within Crystal I would breakdown these groups into
smaller groups with counts.

I can execute the functions and have it return either rowsets or record sets
in a pgadminIII window. However when I try to use Crystal to report against
it I get an error when adding it via the database expert. "Unable to
identify a function that satisfies the given argument types. You may need
to add explicit typecasts."

If I create a view against the stored procedure and have Crystal point to
the view then it allows me to add the view to the report and it works fine.
The problem with this is that I then lose my ability to pass the parameters
to the stored procedure when the report is run.

The report requirements force much of the grouping and counting to be done
before passing the data to Crystal since by design Crystal seems to only
allow all of the rows of the table to be parsed from beginning to end once.

Is anyone aware of a workaround that would enable me to report against a
function which returns a rowset or record set in Crystal?

Michael Godshall
GMAC Global Relocation <http://www.gmacglobalrelocation.com/> Services
900 So. Frontage Road
Woodridge, IL 60517
630-427-2070 office
630-972-2287 fax

michael_godshall(at)gmachs(dot)com <mailto:michael_godshall(at)gmachs(dot)com>