Re: TODO item: Allow more complex user/database default GUC settings

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TODO item: Allow more complex user/database default GUC settings
Date: 2009-09-21 22:46:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On 21. September 2009 13:42:21 +0200 Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
wrote:

> --On 20. September 2009 22:56:53 -0400 Robert Haas
> <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> So is this ready to commit, or what?
>
> Not yet, see the comments Alvaro did upthread. Please note that i'm still
> reviewing this one and i hope to post results tomorrow (there wasn't
> plenty of free time over the weekend, i'm sorry).

Here some further comments on the current patch:

- I'm not sure i like the name of the new system catalog pg_setting. Wie
already have pg_settings, i think this can be confusing. Maybe we need a
different name, e.g. pg_user_setting? This seems along the line with the
other *user* system objects (e.g. pg_stat_user_tables), where only "user
specific" objects are displayed.

- I have thought a little bit about the changes in the system views.
pg_roles and pg_shadow (as Alvaro already mentioned), need to be adjusted
(joined to the new catalog), to display rolconfig/useconfig. However, it's
unclear *how* to expose those information, for example, do we want to
expose roleconfig specific for the current database or for all databases
the role has a specific config for ?

- The code mentions the lack of lock synchronization. Maybe i'm missing
something obvious (its late here), but is there a reason this can't be done
by obtaining a lock on pg_authid (not sure about the backend user
initialization phase though) ?

- Regarding the missing UI: i go with Alvaro's proposal:

Maybe we can make the 2nd ALTER optional.

Thoughts?

--
Thanks

Bernd