Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor
Date: 2011-09-22 00:31:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sep21, 2011, at 19:00 , Jeff Davis wrote:
> While we're at it, any suggestions on the text representation of an
> empty range?

My personal favourite would be '0', since it resembles the symbol used
for empty sets in mathematics, and we already decided to use mathematical
notation for ranges.

If we're concerned that most of our users won't get that, then 'empty'
would be a viable alternative I think.

From a consistency POV it'd make sense to use a bracket-based syntax
also for empty ranges. But the only available options would be '()' and '[]',
which are too easily confused with '(,)' and '[,]' (which we already
decided should represent the full range).

best regards,
Florian Pflug