Re: Front End Languages for PostgreSQL

From: "Van Ingen, Lane" <lvaningen(at)ESNCC(dot)com>
To: "Oisin Glynn" <me(at)oisinglynn(dot)com>, "Dick Davies" <rasputnik(at)hellooperator(dot)net>
Cc: "PostgreSQL novices" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Front End Languages for PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-02-17 14:19:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

The reason for the change is not PHP; it is MySQL. We want some of the advanced functionality
that MySQL will not have until at least version 5 (whatever form it comes in; we keep reading that
some of the version 5 MySQL stuff may be 'basic' (whatever that means)). We need views, triggers,
stored procedures in mature form now.

The reason for the question from me is that we have been hearing that some languages work better
than others with postgres; don't know why, but it could be how tightly coupled it is, how well the
API(?) works with these other languages, etc. In other words, I think I am looking more for any
performance differences that are significant.