Strange query results with invalid multibyte character

From: "Joost Kraaijeveld" <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)Askesis(dot)nl>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Strange query results with invalid multibyte character
Date: 2006-09-27 11:13:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have a strange problem.

I have 2 database, both created with:
CREATE DATABASE muntdev WITH OWNER = postgres ENCODING = 'UTF8' TABLESPACE = pg_default;

Running the queries below on the first database is OK and do what I expect.

If I create a backup of the first datase and restore that backup in the second database the following happens:
The first query (see below) returns 17 records, all containing 'Boonk%'.
The second query (see below)returns 'ERROR: invalid multibyte character for locale'

Query 1:
select lastname from salesordercustomer where lower(lastname) like 'boonk%'

Query 2:
select lastname from salesordercustomer where upper(lastname) like 'BOONK%'

Both database are running *exactly* the same version of Debian Etch AMD64 and *exactly* the same version of PostgreSQL (8.1.4 for AMD64) ....

Can anyone explain this to me?

TIA

Joost