Re: SSDs with Postgresql?

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSDs with Postgresql?
Date: 2011-04-28 16:54:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Apr 28, 2011, at 8:48 AM, David Boreham wrote:

> As a former card-carrying semiconductor company employee, I'm not so sure about this.

Well, yes, you have a good point that in many, if not all, cases we're dealing with different companies. That really should have occurred to me, that manufacturers of SSDDs (or at least some of them) might not have an ingrained culture of extreme cost cutting and deceptive ratings--I'm going to use "feeling under the weather" as my excuse. (Of course reliability of some early consumer-grade SSDDs was abysmal, but that should be a fairly easy problem to avoid.)

> MTBF otoh is a mythical computed value...

It's not only mythical, it's not even remotely realistic, to the point that it is no exaggeration to call it a bald-faced lie. Sorry, don't remember the university, but there was a nice study of large numbers of disks in data centers, and the result was that actual lifespans were so far from MBTF specs, that the remaining disks would have to just about outlive the universe in order to get the mean near the same order of magnitude as the published numbers.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com