Re: Install problems for postgresql-8.4.1

From: "Mark H(dot) Nichols" <info(at)markhnichols(dot)com>
To: Don Fox <donfox1(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Install problems for postgresql-8.4.1
Date: 2009-11-01 20:00:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

Don,

I just ran through the steps I captured on my blog again, on a new
machine that had never had PostgreSQL installed before. I was able to
complete everything with no problems. In doing so I discovered a
couple formatting errors on my blog that prevented all the step
details from appearing. I've corrected the formatting and now all the
details for each steps appears completely.

I also added a link at the bottom of the posting for pgAdmin, a GUI
tool for administering PostgreSQL databases. You can find the download
here: http://www.pgadmin.org/.

I wonder if installing that tool would allow you to create databases
and get your installation working.

On Nov 1, 2009, at 11:18 AM, Don Fox wrote:

> I'm using 103
>
> sudo dseditgroup -o create -i 102 -r "PostgreSQL Users" postgres
>
> Shouldn't the following result in a postgres file under /Users?
> It doesn't!
>
> sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres
> sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres UniqueID 102
> sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres UserShell /bin/bash
> sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres RealName "Postgres Administrator"
> sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres NFSHomeDirectory /usr/local/pgsql
> sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres PrimaryGroupID 102
> sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres Password postgres
> sudo chown -R postgres:postgres /usr/local/pgsql

You say you are using 103, but in the statements you copied into your
email you used 102. It shouldn't matter which you used, as long as you
were consistent throughout.

> bash-3.2$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l
> logfile.log start
> server starting
> bash-3.2$ sh: logfile.log: Permission denied

What directory were you in when you ran the pg_ctl? If you weren't in /
usr/local/pgsql you would get a permissions error trying to create the
the logfile.

> However!
> bash-3.2$ createdb testdb
> Bus error

I have no idea what is causing this error.

mark