Re: BUG #6341: Packaging - virtual provides "postgres" without version

From: Nelson Manuel Marques <nelson-m-marques(at)ext(dot)ptinovacao(dot)pt>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsqlrpms-hackers(at)pgfoundry(dot)org" <pgsqlrpms-hackers(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6341: Packaging - virtual provides "postgres" without version
Date: 2011-12-24 16:10:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

Feel free to ignore this 'bug report', it's most likely INVALID, as I assumed it was a binary release from upstream, which is incorrect. In fact I was referring to the 'PGDG' RPM's. Mainly the situation is that the PostgreSQL provided by Red Hat on RHEL5 doesn't suit our needs, and while PGDG offers a more attractive choice, it also became not an option due to the packaging methodology applied (the usage of 'alternatives'). So we've decided to build our own packages for the future according to our real needs, including a bit more of configuration effort and we will most likely share them through our repositories for maybe someone who might have very close needs.

My apologies for rushing in filing a bug report based on innacurate information, I should've done the research before and not after the bug report submission.

I would also take this opportunity to express my sincere votes of a Merry Christmas and a Happy Year to the developing team of PostgreSQL, all the packagers and distributors and everyone else in the ecosystem.

Best Regards,
NM

Melhores cumprimentos,
Nelson M. Marques