crypt compile error

From: Matthew <matt(at)ctlno(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: crypt compile error
Date: 1998-06-12 15:49:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello, I am new to the world of PostgreSQL. I recently installed the
PostgreSQL database and tried to compile one of the example C programs
from the web site. I fixed a few typo's then it compiled, but when it
goes to do the linking I get an error complaining about undefined
reference to crypt. I have included the exact error message and gcc
version below. Please help, do you have any suggestions? I recently
installed PostgreSQL v 6.3.2. If I can't a C program to compile, it's
going to make using PostgreSQL very hard for this project.

Thanks in advance,

Matt O'Connor

./postgresql-6.3.2/src/interfaces/libpq/libpq.a(fe-auth.o): In function
`pg_password_sendauth':
fe-auth.o(.text+0x17): undefined reference to `crypt'

/pub$gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
gcc version 2.7.2.3