Re: win2k, service, pg_ctl, popen, etc

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Bruce Momjian' <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: 'Magnus Hagander' <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win2k, service, pg_ctl, popen, etc
Date: 2004-07-22 03:15:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Have you looked at find_other_exec(). We call find_my_exec(), then

Yes. IIRC, I assisted you with the recent refactoring of exec.c.

> assuming that works, we go ahead and check versions. We don't loop back
> and keep poking around until we find a matching version.
>
> This code was added particularly so relocable installs don't get wacked
> out, and you can bet Win32 will wack it out even more than unix folks.

GetMFN used in find_my_exec will continue to allow relocatable installs.
What it does is remove any ambiguity over having found the correct location
of the running binary. In this case, all that the version check then
achieves (other than consistency between *nix and Win32) is to make sure
that people don't mix different versions of PostgreSQL binaries in the same
directory, which IMHO seems like overkill.

> I am not willing to loosen that check for Win32 --- in fact I
> would like that check especially for Win32 where users are less
experienced.

That is clear. I lack any concern for users who mix PostgreSQL binaries of
different versions in the same directory, but you maintain concern. We
simply disagree.

Cheers,
Claudio

---