Re: win2k, service, pg_ctl, popen, etc

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Bruce Momjian' <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: 'Magnus Hagander' <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win2k, service, pg_ctl, popen, etc
Date: 2004-07-22 00:44:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> GetModuleFileName() doesn't solve our problem here. We already know
> what we think is the right path, but we have to be sure that we are
> calling a matching version binary. For example, initdb wants
> to call a postgres that is the right version, as does pg_ctl.

But do we really care about people who put 7.5 initdb.exe in the same
directory as, say, 7.6 postgres.exe?

> We have had mismatches reported in the past, and with relocatable installs
it is
> even more likely.

Exactly my point. The mismatches occur because we *think* we know the right
path under *nix, and so we grab the version string to make certain. Under
win32, there would be no such ambiguity, except if people mix versions in
the same directory; which certainly doesn't appear worth the cost to protect
against.

> The version check is centralized in one place, exec.c, and I don't want
> to have different behaviors on Win32 and Unix if we can help it. Let's
> go with the system() into a temp file.

Ok; please allow me to continue to respectfully disagree that this is
justified :-)

Cheers,
Claudio

---