Re: fork/exec patch: pre-CreateProcess finalization

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fork/exec patch: pre-CreateProcess finalization
Date: 2003-12-27 10:27:27
Lists: pgsql-patches

[patch edited + resubmitted for review; not for committing]

Hi Tom,

figuring that, on balance, you are in fact going to prefer to take a
potential future hit in duplicated work (in passing context in the fork/exec
case) over moving the client auth code to PostgresMain, I've just gone ahead
and made a patch that implements your BackendFork ideas...

Please let me know:

* if the changes to the BackendFork / SubPostmasterMain logic are more or
less what you envisaged, and if you are content with them [Note: we can also
roll BackendInit back into BackendFork, making BackendFork (now BackendRun?)
pretty much exactly as it was before the fork/exec changes began]

* if you are content with the above, whether or not you think I ought to do
the same for the SSDataBase logic. I'm hoping for a negative, as the #ifdef
logic is not as convoluted as that originally presented in BackendFork (ie.
to me, it looks like overkill in this case), but anticipating otherwise :-)

Also:
* are you ok with the pgstat changes (I'm guessing yes, as you haven't
mentioned them, and since these changes are pretty similar to what you
suggested for BackendFork)

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a
ailpolicy.html</a>

Attachment Content-Type Size
diff5c2.out application/octet-stream 29.7 KB