Re: Threads vs Processes (was: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for window

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Threads vs Processes (was: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for window
Date: 2003-09-25 14:47:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

> Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com> writes:
> > FWIW, I've got a threaded version of the WIN32_DEV branch more or less
> > "running" (it is a terrible hack job, so NO, no patches... yet :-), as a
> > proof of concept. Still a work in progress (ok, I've qualified it
enough),
> > but it is showing enough promise to convince me that threading is the
way to
> > go for the Win32 port.
>
> How are you dealing with the issue of wanting some static variables to
> be per-thread and others not?
>
> regards, tom lane

To be perfectly honest, I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the code
sufficiently well so that I can tell which variables need to be per-thread
and which are shared (and, in turn, which of these need to be protected from
concurrent access). So, in short, I'm not dealing with the issue (and,
hence, it is only "running" in the very loosest sense of the word).

Unfortunately, I'm not yet even in a position to propose a reasonable model,
let alone one that'd play well with the existing code base. Perhaps some
time soon, hopefully... (I really want to get involved in this.)

Cheers,
Claudio

---
WE HAVE MOVED - PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW CONTACT DETAILS:
THE BASEMENT, 33 EWELL STREET, BALMAIN NSW 2041
TEL: +61 2 9555 1544 FAX: +61 2 9555 6911
http://www.memetrics.com/emailpolicy.html