Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types

From: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types
Date: 2009-09-14 17:33:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sep 14, 2009, at 12:13 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> 2009/9/13 decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>:

>>> Then use a language that supports variable interpolation in
>>> strings, like
>>> plperl, plpythonu, plruby .... instead of plpgsql.
>>

>> Which makes executing SQL much, much harder.
>>
>> At least if we get sprintf dealing with strings might become a bit
>> easier...
>
> This feature is nice - but very dangerous - it the most easy way how
> do vulnerable (on SQL injection) application!

How is it any worse than what people can already do? Anyone who isn't
aware of the dangers of SQL injection has already screwed themselves.
You're basically arguing that they would put a variable inside of
quotes, but they would never use ||.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org