Re: 7.2 stuff

From: "John Gray" <jgray(at)azuli(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.2 stuff
Date: 2001-11-27 11:25:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In article <17242(dot)1006834868(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Tom Lane"
<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>> Basically I was getting the impression that the command.c was getting
>> big and fat and that it might be nice to split all the ALTER* commands
>> into an alter.c or something.
>
> Cool with me. We often fail to spend enough effort on code
> beautification projects; that hurts the maintainability of the project
> in the long run. Feel free to devise and implement a better division of
> the ALTER code. (And as I think we already talked about, it'd also be
> cool to try to merge the common infrastructure of the ALTER commands
> somehow. I don't like umpteen copied-and-pasted versions of the same
> code, either ...)

I'd started a little of this with my TOAST slicing patch -moving some
common code around in command.c (standard permissions checking and
recursing over children) to eliminate duplicates.

I'm still sitting on the patch and maintaining separately because it is
for 7.3, but I am quite interested in some further tidying, but I don't
want to load too much into a single patch.

Regards

John

--
John Gray