PQexec() 8191 bytes limit and text fields

From: "Steve Howe" <howe(at)carcass(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PQexec() 8191 bytes limit and text fields
Date: 2001-07-18 08:51:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello all,

Writing my interface application, which use the PQexec library, I
came across the PQexec() queries 8191 bytes limit.
What useful are 4Gb text fields if I have this limit ?
I mean, if a user make an update to this field, with a large value
(let's say, 4Mb), do I have to call PQexec multiple (more then 500) times,
concatenating the strings each time I call it ??? Can't this be better
implemented ? This is too slow, and generates much more traffic then I ever
wish.
This problem also plagues the large objects API, since they're only
a wrapper to the built-in large objects API.
Does anyone have a better way of doing this ?

Best Regards,
Steve Howe
http://www.vitavoom.com