Re: Weird test mixup

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Weird test mixup
Date: 2024-03-15 15:56:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15/03/2024 16:00, Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> writes:
>> On 15/03/2024 13:09, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> I committed a patch to do that, to put out the fire.
>
>> That's turning the buildfarm quite red. Many, but not all animals are
>> failing like this:
>
> It may be even worse than it appears from the buildfarm status page.
> My animals were stuck in infinite loops that required a manual "kill"
> to get out of, and it's reasonable to assume there are others that
> will require owner intervention. Why would this test have done that,
> if the module failed to load?

The gin_incomplete_split test inserts rows until it hits the injection
point, at page split. There is a backstop, it should give up after 10000
iterations, but that was broken. Fixed that, thanks for the report!

Hmm, don't we have any timeout that would kill tests if they get stuck?

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)