Re: separating PG binaries into a ro mounted partition

From: "Albretch Mueller" <lbrtchx(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: phillip(dot)smith(at)weatherbeeta(dot)com(dot)au
Subject: Re: separating PG binaries into a ro mounted partition
Date: 2007-12-30 11:23:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

> Phillip Smith <phillip(dot)smith(at)weatherbeeta(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> What are you trying to acheive by making the binaries read-only?
~
* convinience: If I have PG on a baseline Linux distro running from a
USB stick or CD (or a mini-DVD) and I go around with my micro drive, I
could just sit anywhere they have a PC with a USB port or CD-player
and an available USB/or firewire port for my micro device.
~
This is why I need to also be able to configure the mount point my
PGDATA will be in. I have done that before with mysql and it works
just fine, but PG is more appealing for me because it has features I
need and it is more committed to java.
~
* security: I could go anywhere knowing that as long as I
mount/configure PG and other apps I have, such as tomcat, as read-only
it is impossibly hard for people to alter my files even though they
could tinker with the BIOS and RAM
~
Also config files could stay where they be, because they
don't/shouldn't change as PG runs. I only need to put in a separate
writable (&/|| updatable) and appendable filesystem areas all other
data
~
So, what are the installation options to acheive what I specified in the OP?
~
thanks
lbrtchx