Re: Issue in postgres_fdw causing unnecessary wait for cancel request reply

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue in postgres_fdw causing unnecessary wait for cancel request reply
Date: 2023-04-13 18:19:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023/04/13 15:13, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> I am not 100% sure that it is a good idea to use the same error
> message "could not send cancel request" for the PQgetCancel() and
> PQcancel() cases, because they are different functions. How about
> "could not create PGcancel structure” or something like that, for the

The primary message basically should avoid reference to implementation details such as specific structure names like PGcancel, shouldn't it, as per the error message style guide?

> former case, so we can distinguish the former error from the latter?

Although the primary message is the same, the supplemental message provides additional context that can help distinguish which function is reporting the message. Therefore, I'm fine with the current primary message in the 0001 patch. However, I'm open to any better message ideas.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center