Re: "no unpinned buffers available" ? why? (hstore and plperl involved)

From: "hubert depesz lubaczewski" <depesz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: "Postgres General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "no unpinned buffers available" ? why? (hstore and plperl involved)
Date: 2007-01-03 15:04:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On 1/3/07, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> wrote:

> > my questions are:
> > 1. is it a bug and will it be fixed?
> > 2. if it is a bug - is it in hstore? plperl? my code?
> My guess would be that plperl isn't freeing it's result set storage
> until the end of the transaction. Might not be classed as a bug, but
> certainly an inefficiency.

not good - but - if it is pl/perl only issue - i can live with it.

> > 3. i can do the migration using small parts - let's say 100 records at a
> > time, disconnect, reconnect, convert next 100 records. but - will i be
> safe
> > later on during standard work?
> Once the connection is closed, all memory should be freed.
> But, it looks to me like you might be able to replace the plperl
> function by just a straight query. That should be faster too.

really? i was thinking really hard on how to do it in sql, but didn't found
any way to achieve it. actually - i dont really think it would be possible
at all in standard sql. but then - maybe i'm wrong.

best regards,

depesz

--
http://www.depesz.com/ - nowy, lepszy depesz