Re: Huge Data sets, simple queries

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Huge Data sets, simple queries
Date: 2006-01-29 11:25:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 1/28/06, Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com> wrote:
> You should check your disk performance, I would
> expect you'll find it lacking, partly because you are running RAID10, but
> mostly because I expect you are using a hardware RAID adapter.

hmm .. do i understand correctly that you're suggesting that using
raid 10 and/or hardware raid adapter might hurt disc subsystem
performance? could you elaborate on the reasons, please? it's not that
i'm against the idea - i'm just curious as this is very
"against-common-sense". and i always found it interesting when
somebody states something that uncommon...

best regards

depesz