Re: More flexible LDAP auth search filters?

From: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)ilande(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More flexible LDAP auth search filters?
Date: 2017-07-16 23:00:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16/07/17 23:26, Thomas Munro wrote:

> Thank you very much for this feedback and example, which I used in the
> documentation in the patch. I see similar examples in the
> documentation for other things on the web.
>
> I'll leave it up to Magnus and Stephen to duke it out over whether we
> want to encourage LDAP usage, extend documentation to warn about
> cleartext passwords with certain LDAP implementations or
> configurations, etc etc. I'll add this patch to the commitfest and
> get some popcorn.

If it helps, we normally recommend that clients use ldaps for both AD
and UNIX environments, although this can be trickier from an
administrative perspective in AD environments because it can require
changes to the Windows firewall and certificate installation.

Whilst OpenLDAP will support ldap+starttls you can end up with some
clients with starttls either disabled or misconfigured sending plaintext
passwords over the wire regardless, so it's generally easiest to
firewall ldap port 389 at the edge of the trusted VLAN so that only
ldaps port 636 connections make it out onto the untrusted network
hosting the local AD/OpenLDAP server.

ATB,

Mark.