Awful FATAL ERROR running query

From: "Ligia Pimentel" <lmpimentel(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Awful FATAL ERROR running query
Date: 2001-05-14 14:27:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a problem with postgres, I'm running a query that joins two tables,
one with 129000+ records, and the other with 1172 records, it's a very
simple join. But postgres can't handle it!!! (Both tables have an index on
the field "cuentacb").

I get the following error after 3 minutes...

migracion=# select * from cuentasequivalentes, equiv11mayo m
migracion-# where cuentasequivalentes.cuentacb = m.cuentacb
migracion-# and cuentasequivalentes.cuentabr <> m.cuentabr;
FATAL 1: Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc()
before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.

What can I do? I'm guessing that I could change a configuration parameter or
something like that, but I don't know.

Please help me, it's kind of urgent.

Ligia