Re: Online enabling of checksums

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Online enabling of checksums
Date: 2018-02-25 21:38:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/25/2018 03:57 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> > I very strongly doubg it's a "very noticeable operational problem". People
>> > only
>> >
>> > I definitely know large databases that fail over more frequently than
>> > that.
>> >

>> I would argue that they have bigger issues than enabling checksums... By
>> far.
>
> In one case it's intentional, to make sure the overall system copes. Not
> that insane.
>
> That I can understand. But in a scenario like that, you can also stop
> doing that for the period of time when you're rebuilding checksums, if
> re-reading the database over and over again is an issue.
>
> Note, I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have the incremental
> functionality. I'm just saying it's not needed in a first version.

I agree with this sentiment. I don't think we can make each patch
perfect for everyone - certainly not in v1 :-/

Sure, it would be great to allow resume after a restart, but if that
means we won't get anything in PG 11 then I think it's not a good
service to our users. OTOH if the patch without a resume addresses the
issue for 99% of users, and we can improve it in PG 12, why not? That
seems exactly like the incremental thing we do for many other features.

So +1 to not make the "incremental resume" mandatory. If we can support
it, great! But I think the patch may seem less complex than it actually
is, and figuring out how the resume should work will take some time.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com