Re: PoC: custom signal handler for extensions

From: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, legrand legrand <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PoC: custom signal handler for extensions
Date: 2020-11-25 15:34:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03.09.2020 14:25, Pavel Borisov wrote:

> Is there a chance to see you restarting working on this patch ?
>

> I noticed that despite interest to the matter, the discussion in this
> CF thread stopped quite a while ago. So I'd like to push here a patch
> revised according to the previous discussion. Actually the patch is
> being used as a part of the pg_query_state extension during several
> major PostgreSQL releases. So I'd like to raise the matter of
> reviewing this updated patch and include it into version 14 as I see
> much use of this change.
>
> I welcome all your considerations,

I took a look at the patch. It looks fine and I see, that it contains
fixes for the latest questions in the thread.

I think we should provide a test module for this feature, that will
serve as both test and example of the use.

This is a feature for extension developers, so I don't know where we
should document it. At the very least we can improve comments. For
example, describe the fact that custom signals are handled after
receiving SIGUSR1.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company