Re: test/modules/test_oat_hooks vs. debug_discard_caches=1

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: test/modules/test_oat_hooks vs. debug_discard_caches=1
Date: 2022-11-19 10:34:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/19/22 04:10, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 2022-11-18 15:55:34 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> We realized today [1] that it's been some time since the buildfarm
>>> had any debug_discard_caches (nee CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS) coverage.
>
>> Do we know when it was covered last? I assume it's before the addition of
>> test_oat_hooks in 90efa2f5565?
>
> As far as that goes: some digging in the buildfarm DB says that avocet
> last did a CCA run on 2021-10-22 and trilobite on 2021-10-24. They
> were then offline completely until 2022-02-10, and when they restarted
> the runtimes were way too short to be CCA tests.

Yeah. I'll try setting up a better monitoring / alerting to notice
issues like this more promptly ... it's a bit tough, because IIRC the
gap 2021-10-22 - 2022-02-10 was due to the tests running, but getting
stuck for some reason. So it's not like the machine was off.

I wonder if it'd make sense to have some simple & optional alerting
based on how long ago the machine reported the last result. Send e-mail
if there was no report for a month or so would be enough.

> Seems like maybe we need a little more redundancy in this bunch of
> buildfarm animals.

It's actually a bit worse than that, because both animals are on the
same machine. So avocet gets "stuck" -> trilobite is stuck too.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company