Re: create_help.pl treats <literal> as replaceable

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create_help.pl treats <literal> as replaceable
Date: 2022-05-23 11:17:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 19.05.22 04:12, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> At Wed, 18 May 2022 18:23:57 +0200, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote in
>> "Boolean" is correct; see <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Boolean> for
>> example.
>
> Ok, so, don't we in turn need to replace "boolean"s with "Boolean"?
>
> "only boolean operators can have negators"
> "only boolean operators can have restriction selectivity"
>
> And I'm not sure how to do with "bool". Should it be "Boolean" instead
> from the point of uniformity?
>
> errmsg("only bool, numeric, and text types could be "

The SQL data type is called BOOLEAN, and we typically lower-case type
names in PostgreSQL, so messages should be like

column %s should be of type integer
column %s should be of type boolean

As an adjective, not a type, it should be spelled Boolean, because
that's how it's in the dictionary (cf. Gaussian).

%s should have a string value
%s should have a Boolean value

"bool" should normally not appear in user-facing messages, unless we are
dealing with internal type names (cf. int4) or C types.

Of course, the lines between all of the above are blurry.