Re: BUG #17912: Invalid memory access when converting plpython' array containing empty array

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17912: Invalid memory access when converting plpython' array containing empty array
Date: 2023-05-01 12:00:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

30.04.2023 19:24, Tom Lane wrote:
> Here's a version that adopts plperl's logic, causing it to treat
> empty sub-lists as being zero-length dimensions. Most of the new
> test cases are borrowed from plperl, too, and most of them act
> differently before and after the code change. So I'm pretty
> hesitant to put this into stable branches. OTOH, maybe it's not
> too late for v16?

Thanks for the patch!
I've tested the new implementation and found no issues with it — only
rectangular structures are accepted now. The code is straightforward and
very similar to plperl's, so I would not expect that it might bring new
anomalies, which couldn't be seen before.
Thus I don't think that adding it to current master (and possible follow-up
fixing) can take a significant amount of time out of v16+ schedule only.

> I noticed one inarguable bug here, too: PLySequence_ToArray_recurse
> leaks Python object refcounts after errors, because it has no
> PG_TRY to ensure that Py_XDECREF() gets done. I'm not sure if
> it's worth doing something about that in the back branches, given
> the lack of complaints.

I continue watching the array handling bugs dancing Sirtaki too. Now it's
another asymmetry:
select '{{1},{{2}}}'::int[];
but:
select '{{{1}},{2}}'::int[];