Re: stringtype=unspecified problem

From: "Chris Gamache" <cgamache(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stringtype=unspecified problem
Date: 2007-02-15 14:12:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 2/14/07, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> wrote:
> Here you're explicitly saying that it is a VARCHAR, not that you have a
> String that you're not sure what the real type is. It would be possible
> to adjust setNull to check the stringtype setting and use Oid.UNSPECIFIED
> here, but I'm not sure that would be correct.

We've been batting this around in the office as well. I wish I knew
what the absolute correct behavior would be in this situation.

An observation that might be insightful is if I can figure out how

setString(1,null);

differs from

setNull(1,java.sql.Types.VARCHAR);

When connected using stringtype=unspecified it would seem to me that
the two should behave the same way. What do you think?