Re: 7.1 performance

From: "Thomas Heller" <maniax(at)comtron(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.1 performance
Date: 2001-04-26 16:55:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

> > i use the same
> > settings for sort_mem, buffers, etc. just no fsync. I thought 7.1
wouldn't
> > need that anymore.
>
> Does the behavior change if you turn off fsync again?

No.

The Database is loaded with up to 25req/s ... most of them are just simple
SELECTS (no ORDER BY, no JOINS) ... i use indexes on all important fields.
Some queries just return 1 row ... some even 1.000 ... when i run these
queries in psql they seem fast and not problematic. (i did no query
optimizing yet) Note: its a backend database to a webpage (php). There are
arround 8 postgres processes running on the machine. Through the mass of
Queries i can't really say WHO is causing the load to the machine. As the
load raised to about 17 after 1 hour online, i switched back to 7.0.3 ...
now the machine is at load 0,3 again and everything is fine.

Here are some setting from my postgresql.conf

log_connections = off
fsync = on (also off tested)
tcpip_socket = true
max_connections = 32
sort_mem = 4096
shared_buffers = 128

wal_buffers = 8
wal_files = 8
wal_sync_method = fsync
wal_debug = 0
commit_delay = 0
commit_siblings = 5
checkpoint_segments = 3
checkpoint_timeout = 300

i would really be interested in using 7.1 cause i set it up for a new
project (running a dual-p3-1ghz + 2 gig ram) and this machine really needs
good performance and i use (binary &|) which wheren't available in <7.1
afaik.

thanks,
thomas