Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql
Date: 2015-08-10 17:10:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:

> I'm working up a proposal to add (UN)PIVOT support to the back-end.

I was under the impression that a server-side PIVOT *with dynamic
columns* was just unworkable as an SQL query, because it couldn't
be prepared if it existed.

I am wrong on that? I feel like you guys are all telling me that \pivot
should happen on the server, but the point that it would not be
realistic to begin with is not considered.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite