Re: Documentation for create unique index is insuficient and (because of that) incorrect

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, emilioplatzer(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation for create unique index is insuficient and (because of that) incorrect
Date: 2018-11-20 14:41:56
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 11/19/18 9:05 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 06:29:55PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
>> The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
>>
>> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/static/indexes-unique.html
>>
>> In https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/static/indexes-unique.html there are
>> omited clausules
>>
>> For example WHERE clausule is omited.
>>
>> In https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/static/sql-createindex.html you can
>> see the right sintax with all the clausules.
>
> The first URL is an example and is not intended to be the complete
> syntax.

In fairness, the "INCLUDE" clause was added, which is new to PostgreSQL
11, so it could raise the question as to why aren't other clauses there.

Perhaps we could add some more examples? For instance, why one might
want to use "INCLUDE" with a unique index. And perhaps a case of the
"partial unique index" (which I have used in production systems before).

Thanks!

Jonathan