Same question about PostgreSql

From: "Sergey E(dot) Volkov" <sve(at)raiden(dot)bancorp(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Same question about PostgreSql
Date: 2001-04-14 13:01:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi group,

We have a DSS system based on Informix IDS and number of OLTP systems based
on Interbase.
After we was running this system, we had have a unceasing serious problems
with Interbase.

1) Massive inserts, updates, deletes is crashed database internal structure
!!!.
we have to make backup and restore every night ( backup and restore for 1G
database is spent about 3 hours !!).
2) Garbage collection is crashed database internal structure !!!!!!!!!!
3) Backup sometimes can't process crashed database.
4) Restore frequently ( 50% of cases ) can't help ( because backup is not
valid even if backup utility is finished without errors ( constraints
violation and etc. ) !!!!)

OLTP database has about 300 tables and 250 store procedures.
Number of client connections 100 and less.
Maximum database size is about 1.5 G - 3 G.

Data from the OLTP systems periodically come into DSS database.

Excuse me for long entering. Finally questions.

How stable is PostgreSql ?
I know, PostgreSql doesn't support 'prepare ' operation, is it successful to
use one for OLTP databases ?

Thanks for responds.

Good luck.

Sergey.