Re: Partitioned tables and views

From: "Francisco Reyes" <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
To: " Mike Gould " <mgould(at)allcoast(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partitioned tables and views
Date: 2008-07-31 17:55:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12:54 pm 07/31/08 "Mike Gould" <mgould(at)allcoast(dot)net> wrote:

> 1. Is the planner/optimizer intelligent enough to know when we are
> not doing a query based on location?

In short yes.
If the DB doesn't see the condition by which your tables are partitioned it
will search all the partitions.

> 2. How are views handled with partitioned tables?

Same as with regular queries. A view is just a conveniently "stored" query.
In other words, the plan for the view will be the same plan as the plan for
the query that you made the view from.