Storing/Using Passwords

From: William Shatner <shatner(dot)william(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Storing/Using Passwords
Date: 2005-05-18 10:40:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I am using PostgreSQL 8.0 as a data repository for a Java based system
and I now want to add users to my java program with usernames and
passwords. Is their an encrypted password field I can use in a User
Table to store passwords or what would be the best way to approach
this?

The usernames and passwords will apply for connection to the to the
java program only. All users will be connecting to the PostgreSQL
database transparently using the same username/password stored in a
properties file to validate their java program username/passwords.

Kind Regards,
Will