Help - Index on pg_shadow corruption!! Database down!!

From: Marcin Kowalski <kowalski(at)datrix(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help - Index on pg_shadow corruption!! Database down!!
Date: 2001-03-30 11:33:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Concerned CItizens

I have a slight (BIG) problem, I can no longer connect to my a certain
database after erroneously creating a unique index on it pg_shadow file.
Below is the exerpt from a previous post that I did but on another
unrelated (semi) thread.

I did this in order to prevent duplicate entries occuring in pg_shadow

DON'T DO THIS!!!
-------
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX shadow_index ON pg_shadow (usename)
-------
I couldn't create at pg_shadow_index as the pg prefix is reserved for
system tables.

This BROKE the database. At least I can't connect anymore with a:
-------
template1=# \c statements
FATAL 1: Index 'pg_shadow_name_index' does not exist
Previous connection kept
template1=#
-------
If I look at the error log I get :
-------
ERROR: Illegal class name 'pg_shadow_index'
The 'pg_' name prefix is reserved for system catalogs
ERROR: Index 'pg_shadow_name_index' does not exist
ERROR: SearchSysCache: recursive use of cache 23
ERROR: SearchSysCache: recursive use of cache 23
ERROR: SearchSysCache: recursive use of cache 23
ERROR: SearchSysCache: recursive use of cache 23 <-- quite psql here
FATAL 1: Index 'pg_shadow_name_index' does not exist <-- restarted again
FATAL 1: Index 'pg_shadow_name_index' does not exist
FATAL 1: Index 'pg_shadow_name_index' does not exist
-------

What can I do??? I've got a non-trivial amount of data that I cannot afford
to lose!! HELP!..

Regards
MArCin - Thanks

Aside:
I am running PG7.1RC1 on another machine, so far It is averaginh 1360
selects per second over 6 tables (not always returning data though). This
is pretty damn fast, (13 Million of them till now about 37 million to go
:-) )