Re: [Patch] Checksums for SLRU files

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Ivan Kartyshov <i(dot)kartyshov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Patch] Checksums for SLRU files
Date: 2018-08-01 11:06:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

> 1 авг. 2018 г., в 13:49, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> написал(а):
>
> Hmm. This proposal doesn't seem to deal with torn writes.
That's true, but it's a bit orthogonal to problem solved with checksums.
Checksums provide way to avoid reading bad page, torn pages - is about preventing writing bad writes.

But adding LSNs, and whole regular PageHeader is quite easy in this patch. Do you think we should really go that way?

Putting SLRUs into usual shared buffers and WAL-logging looks like a good idea, but a lot of work.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.