Re: row description for domain in 7.4

From: John DeSoi <jd(at)icx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: row description for domain in 7.4
Date: 2003-06-27 12:48:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 02:00 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> We've only had domains for one release cycle, so it seems to me that
> there's not a lot of track record to justify a "this is how we've
> always
> done it" position for domain-related behaviors. Especially when the
> odds seem good that few people are really using domains.

I was not aware it was such a new feature. So you are right, it
probably won't have much impact.

Is there any way to use the CREATE TYPE feature without having to write
C functions? (I'm assuming here the row description would have to be
the OID of the created type.) What I want to do is store text but know
that the column is a specific text format so that it can be parsed
properly by the front end.

Thanks,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.