Re: logical decoding of two-phase transactions

From: Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: logical decoding of two-phase transactions
Date: 2017-04-04 10:06:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 4 Apr 2017, at 04:23, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>

> I reviewed this patch but when I tried to build contrib/test_decoding
> I got the following error.

Thanks!

Yes, seems that 18ce3a4a changed ProcessUtility_hook signature.
Updated.

> There are still some unnecessary code in v5 patch.

Actually second diff isn’t intended to be part of the patch, I've just shared
the way I ran regression test suite through the 2pc decoding changing
all commits to prepare/commits where commits happens only after decoding
of prepare is finished (more details in my previous message in this thread).

That is just argument against Andres concern that prepared transaction
is able to deadlock with decoding process — at least no such cases in
regression tests.

And that concern is main thing blocking this patch. Except explicit catalog
locks in prepared tx nobody yet found such cases and it is hard to address
or argue about.

Stas Kelvich
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
logical_twophase_v6.diff application/octet-stream 66.1 KB
logical_twophase_regresstest.diff application/octet-stream 14.9 KB